So, I have been trying to dry the laundry for the past 4 hours. I started at 8am and one load is STILL pretty damp (I just ran into the maintenance guy.. he said that there has been no heat… just air…but that it should be fixed soon). I am thankful that my nursing uniforms actually did dry after the 4th drying cycle… Ahh… maybe someday I will NOT have to feed quarters into a machine to do my laundry.. It’s something to wish for in the future when I’m making the big bucks as a nurse.
So, for those who are ever-so curious. I did end up removing J. as a “friend” on Facebook. I cried for an hour afterward. I’m sure he didn’t even notice, so I don’t know what I’m getting so upset over. For whatever reason we can’t be friends now. I’ve been pretty resolute about it. Haven’t once tried to call or text or email him. A friend of mine suggested that I limit my “sad” time to 30 minutes/day re him and then to move on… Which, sometimes it has worked… on other days.. it has been a lot longer than 30 minutes.
Blah, blah, blah…
That’s it… my mom just called so I’m on the phone w/ her.
Bye for now.
ps.. the White Sox have won FOUR in a row!!! :O) Go good guys.
Game 4 of the World Series just started. Boston hit a lead off double. It’s been hard for me to watch.. I really wanted Colorado to win at least 1 game…
I’ve been studying pharmacology all day today… well, off and on for most of the day… It’s so much memorization… it’s crazy…but at the same time… v. interesting.
THE wedding was yesterday. Highlights:
1. During preparation of the church in the morning… I was putting the candles in the candlelabras (sp?)… Well, I was standing on the pew… I slipped trying to step off the pew and fell on the HARD wood arm rest… Basically, I bruised my butt. BIG TIME. It hurts to sit.
2. The organist… I guess it was his first wedding and he didn’t know when to take his cues… He played the same song over and over and over and over again… It actually was kinda funny.
3. Everybody did great. The ring bearer didn’t cry… the flower girl was beautiful…
4. The reception. Hands down… the BEST reception food I’ve ever had. Two amazing crab cakes… all crab… no filler.
5. Crazy games at the reception. The bride’s mother had all these Russian games to play. It was funny.
6. Me getting home in one piece… I was so, so, so, tired (I skipped church this morning to sleep in).
Tomorrow I’m in the ER all day. It’s another 4.30am wake up call. So, I’ll bid adieu for now… must get some more work done.
I just read a recap of the 2005 World Series.
and I’m crying.
those were the glory days.
I bought a new vacuum cleaner the other day. And I’m using it. A lot. I’m actually cleaning. I’m using all the “on board” tools to clean places that haven’t been cleaned in years. Baseboards. The spots behind the sofas that haven’t been cleaned in forever. Behind the TV cabinet… Wow.. I should have bought a new vacuum ages ago. Ok… full disclosure… my mom is coming into town tomorrow evening.. so, I thought I should probably clean the place for her (but the new vacuum is helping).
Other Miscellany in no particular order…
1. White Sox are the worst team in the majors (or are they are tied with Kansas City for that honor?). I sorta have stopped paying attention.
2. My friend J. I haven’t mentioned him in awhile. I guess because there isn’t much to mention. It’s that growth thing again. It’s a lot more difficult for me to be friends with men who have girlfriends. The whole wedding invitation thing… It would have been fun to ask him to come to the reception. It’s being held at a cool museum in Philadelphia (the Mutter Museum)… but I never would (and didn’t) because of his girlfriend. I did see him last week and it was good to catch up..if only for a short period of time.
3. As of today I have 21 days left to work. It’s crazy. I can’t believe I’m down to 21 days. There is so much to do in that time.
4. And, yes… I’m very excited to begin school. There is that fear of the unknown… but I was talking with someone else who just graduated in May and we were talking about how much I already know. She said that when she first started cliinicals that students were afraid to walk into patient’s rooms because they didn’t know what to say or do. I realized then that I have been walking in patient’s rooms for 4 years already… I have been with families in the morgue, etc.. I felt better knowing that I already have a good dose of familiarity with what can happen in hospital rooms. Now… if I can only conquer Anatomy & Physiology.
5. On page 89 of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows. It’s been fun to read this whole series to the end.
Ok.. that’s it. Good night.
So… it’s 10.19 on Sunday evening. I’m sitting here regretting the fact that I let myself get sunburned today. I had a little change of plans.. at the last minute (well, about 9am this morning) I decided it was going to be too nice a day to NOT go to Baltimore to see my beloved White Sox. So, I bought a ticket (a cheap seat.. not the one I originally wanted…but still a good seat) and after church today drove down. The White Sox didn’t disappoint.. they played horrible and lost again. Oh well.. at least they are consistent.
In spite of the sunburn, I had a great time at the game. Going by myself is always fun because I get to meet tons of interesting characters. From the guy sitting to the left of me… I learned a lot of the history of Baltimore (and where to buy the best crabcakes in the city)… and the guy to the right of me was from somewhere in Oregon but was from Milwaukee… he was enjoying himself just a little too much watching me squirm everytime the White Sox did something stupid.
Tomorrow is my birthday. I wonder if I’m the only one who still enjoys their birthday. I’ll probably walk from 30th Street in the morning and stop at this great flower stand at 17th & Market. It is run by this old Asian couple who always look happy. I’ll probably buy myself some birthday flowers for my desk. I was at some college retreat & the speaker told this story about getting onto a plane and seeing the flight attendant with a beautiful bouquet of roses. He asked her if her boyfriend/husband bought them for her. It turned out that she just bought them for herself to remind her that God loves her. (or something to that effect). I figure if God were around… he probably would buy me flowers for my birthday. And that makes me happy.
My friends Jamie and Suzy made me my birthday dinner on Friday evening. The best were the presents I received from their kids. They each built me something out of Legos and then Joseph gave me blue rock candy on a swizzle stick. Emma’s present was a candy necklace (which I LOVED when I was kid.. my dad would always get me one when we stopped at the gas station on the way home from his mom’s house).
I received a wedding invitation the other day. It said I could bring a guest. I almost wished it didn’t. I don’t know any single guys who would want to go to a wedding & eat bad wedding food. So, I will reply and go by myself. Going to weddings alone is getting old. It’s actually pretty lonely. I’m really, really happy for M because this is something she has wanted for a long time. So, I will go. I will support her & I will have fun…because her day is not about me.
Ok.. it’s almost 11pm. Time for bed. Bye for now.
(before I enter a meeting in about 6 minutes).
During last night’s All-Star game.. I became a blubbering fool when Willie Mays walked out from center field. I cried throughout all of his standing ovation. It was so cool to see such a great figure in the game of baseball being honored.
In other news:
1. I admit… I changed the channel at 9.30 to watch Joey Fatone & his show “The Singing Bee”… it was as bad as I thought it was going to be. Which means, I’ll probably tape it tonight and watch it when I get back from class.
2. Old movie update: Yesterday in my mail was the movie “Best Years of Our Lives.” I promise to watch it sometime this weekend.. although I’m not sure when b/c my weekend is pretty booked already. I’ll file a report sometime next week.
3. I must admit.. it pays to have friends in high places. One of the deans of the nursing program here at Jeff is going to give me a lesson today in assessing a patient. Kinda cool. Tomorrow is my orientation where I will register for all my classes and get assessed a $8656 fee for tuition. Ouch….but in a good way.
That’s it. Nothing else. Philly is hot & humid & expecting rain. Another perfect day in paradise! :O)
I just learned about the xiphoid process last night. I have my Basic Life Support class tonight. I was reading about doing CPR on babies. My book said not to press on the xiphoid process.
My understanding is that the xiphoid process is a piece of cartiliage on the bottom of the sterum.. from pics it looks pretty pointy & sharp. On adults it is fused to the sterum so it isn’t as much of a problem.. but for infants it’s not fused and supposedly can snap off during CPR. This is bad because it could puncture the lungs and/or heart.
Don’t you feel smarter already? I’m glad I could provide this public service to inform you all about the xiphoid process!
In other news:
1. White Sox signed Mark Buerle to a contract extension. The smartest move the ChiSox have made all season.
2. Had my first experience at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. It was, by far, one of the most satisfying customer service experiences I have ever had. I’m not really ga-ga over Apple’s products (I think they are overpriced and overhyped for the most part)…but I have to admit.. their customer service/tech support is pretty amazing.
3. Thinking about splurging on a $60 ticket behind homeplate for the White Sox/Baltimore game on Sunday for my birthday present to myself. I’ll probably decide by Wednesday. I would love to see another White Sox game before the end of the season.
Ok. that’s it.